We are looking for an enthusiastic Journalist student intern to contribute in the publication of timely and accurate news. The successful candidate will be a skilled writer with a passion for the job capable of both informing and entertaining our readers for our arboretum section of Campustree.
- Conduct research to uncover interesting and significant news on and off campus
- Gather, corroborate and interpret data
- Use findings to construct a well-written article
- Retain awareness of the readers’ point of view
- Obtain first-hand information by being present in happenings
- Receive assignments or investigate news leads/tips
- Comply with the moral code of the profession
- Maintain notes and audio recordings
- Partner with other journalists, editors, producers etc.
- Establish contacts and sources for use in future research
- Keep abreast on developments by studying papers, attending events etc.
- Proven working experience as a journalist or reporter
- Portfolio of published articles or newscasts
- Ability to follow strict deadlines and fast-check information
- Current knowledge of headlines
- Computer proficiency (MS Office, digital editing, web search, databases)
- Excellent communication and networking skills along with an aptitude in extracting information
- Good observation and deduction skills
- Integrity and morality
- High school diploma; preferably Second or third year university or college student in journalism or relevant field
This is a non-paid internship in a new startup launching in Canada’s National Capital. Our company will be branching to campuses across Canada and the United States within the first year and internationally soon after. This is a 3 month internship which will require you to be available some evenings, weekends, and during the week, we will work around your schedule. Maximum 5 hours per a week.
What will the intern receive?
- Full media accreditation on our site, articles, YouTube and film production
- Your work with us may be submitted as school assignments
- Real life experience to be added to your profile and resume
- Exclusive access to special events
- Networking potential
- Opportunity to work with us fulltime in a paid position